Monday, August 13, 2012

Questions I Ask Myself When I Meet a Guy


 
People have asked me what I am looking for in the guy I marry.

 I usually respond with this:

"someone who works as hard as my daddy, someone who is as on fire for Jesus as Michael, and someone who can make me laugh as hard as Thomas can." 

I guess lately God's been giving me lessons on what to look for in guys, and how to view them. I think that now I am not just looking for a walking combination of Dad, Michael and Thomas, but a whole lot more than that. 

So anyways, I'm going to use this post to bullet point some of the things I'm looking for in guys that I meet, and the questions I ask myself when I do meet a guy that interests me.

Is he saved?

 Not just, is he going to Heaven, either. But more, does he love God with his whole heart, and is God the most important person in his life?

 Is he willing to move around the world for the gospel to be shared, and will he push me towards God? A lot of guys out there are "Christians" and they come to church on Sunday and they carry the Bible and they say all the right things, but their heart isn't in the right place. I have met so many of those guys, and only a few "real guys" as I call them.

Does he work hard? Honestly, some guys are just lazy! 

I really don't understand that, because in all my growing up years, my dad worked hard. I mean, get up early, work all day, come home and crash. My brothers grew up and did the exact same thing. I have grown up around hard-working men. Real men who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty and who don't mind being sweaty. It's not just my brothers and dad, it's my grandpas, my uncles and my guy cousins. Where I live, you work hard. That's what I want in my man, someone who will provide for me and our kids because he works hard and gets dirty and sweaty.


Does he have a good solid relationship with his parents and siblings? 

Does he love them and love to spend time with them? 

This is huge for me, because family is a big deal. I love my family more than anything else in this world, and I want him to love them, too, and I want him to have a great relationship with my siblings and parents; but he can't have a great relationship with my family unless he has one with his family. I have met very few guys over my 17 years that really respect and honor their parents and have fantastic relationships with their siblings. It's like a breath of fresh air when I am standing somewhere talking to a guy friend and all his siblings are crowded around him, but it doesn't phase him a bit and he includes them in our conversation. 
That's the kind of guy I want to be in a relationship with.

What are his interests? What makes him smile? Does he enjoy any of the same things I do? How does he spend his free time? How does he spend his money? Does he invest in worthwhile things? All good questions to ask if you meet a guy and you are interested in him!

Is he compassionate? Does he have a tender, understanding heart? I want to marry a man who will be caring and understanding and who will just be there for me when I need him. I think the main reason for this is because I have always had that with Michael and Thomas. They have always been there, no matter what was going on, no matter how busy they were, they were always just a phone call away. And they always had a hug ready to give me when I needed it.

Will he make me laugh? 

Will he take me on crazy adventures?

 I ask myself questions like this all the time. My best friend right now (Thomas) is my best friend because he knows me so well, and can make me laugh like no one else can. He doesn't even have to say anything anymore, all he has to do is make a face and I roll. 

Another question is: will he be as much my best friend as Thomas? Will he make my day just by smiling at me?

Just a few random things that I think about when I meet a guy.

9 comments:

  1. Those ate great questions. I hope you find everything you are looking for plus more.
    love Sarah Youmans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks, Sarah! :) And thanks for reading! :)

      Delete
  2. Very important and excellent questions to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All great qualities to look for in a guy. Mature qualities...making sure he's a grown up. Make sure you look for a man who's able to sacrifice something, for you and for others. Able to lead in love, intimacy, righteousness, selflessness, and the word of God.

    If you're not sure...send him to your dad...and your brothers :). They're discerning enough-and if they're busy...send'em to me. I got your back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. Now I have this big smile on my face! :) Like that one! :) haha. Everything I want in a guy I've seen displayed by my big brothers, including you, Dustin and Guse.

      And hahahahaha. If I want him to live, I should probably not send him to Michael or Thomas or you! :) Didn't you tell me one time that if a guy ever liked me you were going to help Thomas personally assassinate him??? :)

      Delete
    2. Hey, don't forget about me! :) You know I am right there beside all these guys ready to make sure guys treat you with the love, honor and respect you deserve! I am so proud of you Jen and the decisions you have made and continue to make! God, your family, and your friends have really helped in shaping you into a wonderful young woman! It is always so encouraging to see your smile and talk with you when I see you! You are truly a blessing to everyone around you. Whenever you have met this guy you have just described, he will be a very lucky man, and I will be there to remind him of it! :)

      -Guse

      Delete
    3. Golly! I wish you and Brandon would just stop, cause now I just want to hug both of you so bad! :) And how could I ever forget about you?? haha I wouldn't know what to expect in the guys that I hang out with if you and my other brothers hadn't taught me what real men are like.
      Thanks for your sweet words, they mean so much to me. It's awesome to have older brothers that care about me and want to protect me, even if that can be kind of annoying of times! :) I'm so thankful for you, Dustin and Brandon, and for Michael and Thomas of course, and love all of you a whole lot :)
      (And now that I think about it, you're the only one who has never threatened to kill the guy I want to marry. So maybe you're my favorite big brother :)

      Delete
  4. Great points to consider! Keep seeking God- He will bring you a man beyond your dreams! :)

    Thanks for stopping by and following my blog. I followed yours back.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! You make me smile! Have a fantastic day, friend.