Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Wedding Recap, Part 2: The Rehearsal Dinner

I was quiet on the ride to the church. I managed some smiles and a couple of laughs and tried to feel as excited and happy as Becca looked, but inside I was experiencing butterflies. They were sure to turn into alligators before too long.

We arrived and talked to my parents for awhile. Then I saw Josh in the hallway. That was nice. He asked me how I was and I said, "Great!" He saw right through me (he's just like a big brother) and said, "Really?" in a very skeptical tone. =) But, I was determined to just be "cool" and said, "yeah, I'm fine." (Liar that I am!)

I really love this picture of Becca

Michael and Zeke

my 7 younger siblings!
We rehearsed and rehearsed again. I was told to walk slower, 'enjoy the moment', they kept telling me. I just wanted to sit down with Thomas and talk and not worry about weddings. But I kept a nice smile on my face. =) Thankfully people were constantly laughing and cracking jokes, so it wasn't too hard.
Becca and Thomas =)

Becca and her dad
After all the rehearsing was done, we headed to the fellowship hall to eat. Papa made frog-more stew or low-country boil or whatever you want to call it and it smelled really good. I took Zeke from whoever had him at the moment and just held him. He made me feel better. 
Starting at the head of the table: Jamie, me and Zeke, Mom, Thomas, Becca, Meagan and Josh. Jessie was on the other side of Josh, but you can't really see her! =)

Everyone!
After everyone had eaten and eaten and eaten, we got down to business. There was a slideshow that Thomas had masterfully created and it was amazing. It showed pictures of Thomas growing up, to "I Am Still Running" by Jon Foreman; then pictures of Becca growing up, to "The Past and Pending" by The Shins. Then there were pictures of them together, to "Part One" by Band of Horses. The slideshow was perfect. I loved it. 

After that, Michael stood up and said that Josh, me, Meagan and himself were going to give speeches and that after we were done, if anyone wanted to say anything about Thomas or Becca, they were welcome to. So Josh stood up and gave his amazing speech.
Josh

Becca's face during Josh's speech
His speech was really good and so nice. He and Thomas have been best friends for quite a while, and it made me happy that Thomas has such a good friend. =) 

Then...Josh was done and it was my turn. I was feeling nervous and when I get nervous, I usually do one of three things: say "um" a lot, use my hands excessively while talking, or cry. That night, I did all three. 
See the hand in action??
I started out by telling a story about the first time Becca ever came to our house. It was funny and got everyone laughing, which was kind of my point, and then I figured I had to get serious. So I did. Big mistake. 

I thanked Thomas and Becca for the great example they had set over their relationship. They really showed us what a relationship looks like when it's all played out. I said that when I get into a relationship I want my guy to love me as much as Thomas loves Becca. And I said that I wanted to respect and worship my guy just like Becca does Thomas. I thanked her for being that girl for him. 
I love this picture so much! =)
Then...I said that I felt like I should say some stuff to Thomas. I said that Josh may have said that Thomas was his best friend but that was not true, because Thomas is my best friend. 

I thanked Thomas for just a few things. For memories that we share. For the times we went squirrel hunting, for all the music he's given me...just for being my best friend. I cried, but it was okay. I really hate crying in front of people, but for that moment, I was talking to Thomas and it didn't matter what other people were thinking. 

I finally finished and then this happened. Possibly my favorite picture from the whole weekend:
me and my best friend =)
After giving Becca a hug, I sat down. Josh said I did a good job, and in the middle of wiping away the tears, I think I said thanks. Oh well. Meagan was up next!
Sweet Meagan
She cried too, which made me feel somewhat better about myself. Her speech was really sweet, and she said some really amazing things about Becca, all of which were true. I loved her speech and it made me cry!

After Meagan finished, Michael stood up. Now, Michael had just gotten back from Alabama, literally seconds before the rehearsal started, and had to have had at least 6 Mountain Dews that day. Basically bouncing off the walls. =) 

He said his goal had been to make Becca laugh and Thomas cry, since everyone else had done the opposite, but since he was so sleepy, he changed his mind. Instead he made us laugh. =)
3 of Thomas' former roommates: Grant in the green, Fred in the bright plaid, and Ricky in the Bob Dylan shirt =)
Michael
His speech was really good. He talked to both Thomas and Becca, and gave them both really good advice. I can't remember exactly what he said...but it was meaningful. =) He is a really good speaker and I love hearing him talk. 

After his speech he played a song that Thomas wrote and recorded. I was so glad he did, and yet, it made me cry. But everything was making me cry...so that isn't surprising. Everyone applauded Thomas' song, and then Michael said that he was done and that if anyone else wanted to speak, they were welcome to.Papa stood up and talked, and then Grant, who is in a picture up above. They both said nice things, and it was good. 

After that Grant closed up in prayer, and things got picked up and the groom was taken away with his friends to go bowling and do whatever guys do on the night before a wedding. =) I know they prayed for him before they let him go to bed.

We dropped Becca and Meagan off at Becca's house, and then headed home. 

When we got home, everyone pretty much went straight to bed. I wasn't sleepy though. So I sat up and read some and wrote in my journal. I picked up my cell phone at one point and it said: 12:36, September 15th. I momentarily freaked out. IT WAS THE WEDDING DAY!!!!!

more tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! You make me smile! Have a fantastic day, friend.