Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Obama, politics, government, and other things i know nothing about...

"First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus..." (1 Timothy 2:1-5)

"Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God." (Romans 13:1)

this post has been a long time coming. I honestly have put off writing it for months. but I guess it's time to write it now. 

if there is one thing in the world that I would classify as my biggest pet peeve it would be this:

when "Christians" trash-talk the government, president, Washington...etc...

why is that okay? why is it okay to slam Obama? why is it okay to continually share articles trash-talking the government? why is it okay to say horrible things about another human being? why? 

see, it is in our nature to think that we are better than everyone else. ever since the beginning, we have this thought that we are so lofty and know best and just have it all figured out. (news flash, people, you aren't as smart you think you are...) because we think that we're so great, we think its okay to trash talk other people...

it's not okay. 

in the book of Mark, the Pharisees wanted Jesus to basically slam the taxes Caesar had placed on them. this is what happened...
"And they sent to Him some of the Pharisees and some of the Herodians, to trap Him in His talk. And they came and said to him, 'Teacher we know that you are true and do not care about anyone's opinion. For you are not swayed by appearances, but truly teach the way of God. Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not? Should we pay them, or should we not?' But knowing their hypocrisy, He said to them, 'Why put me to the test? Bring me a denarius and let me look at it.' And they brought one. And He said to them, "Whose likeness and inscription is this?' They said to him, 'Caesar's.' So Jesus said to them, 'Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.' And they marveled at Him." (Mark 12:13-17)

Jesus just blew them out of the water. He doesn't talk about how much the taxes are. He doesn't talk about how much He hates having to pay taxes. He doesn't say that its unfair. He doesn't call Caesar names. He just pays the taxes. He says, "give to the government what belongs to them and give to God what is His." Jesus paid taxes even though He is the Son of God, and He did it without comment.

of all the people on earth, it would've been okay for Jesus to say something negative about the government. He is king over everything. and yet, He says nothing.

I'm not saying that I think Obama is a good president. I don't claim to know anything about politics. I sin, too. I'd just like it if my Christian friends would take an extended absence from their job of trash-talking the president/government. maybe even a permanent absence....

please remember that the prayers we offer for our leadership are good and pleasing in the sight of God and Jesus. next time you're feeling like posting something negative about the government, maybe think about that, and say a prayer instead. you just might feel better afterward.


1 comment:

  1. Jennifer, I know that you have been receiving a lot of grief for your blog post but I want to say thank you. Thank you for being a woman that wants to follow God's Word. Thank you for not being afraid of standing up for what it says. Thank you for being you! I admit that I bash talk our government frequently and you have convicted my heart. Keep walking the good walk! I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! You make me smile! Have a fantastic day, friend.