Monday, July 1, 2013

introducing Amy

hey there friends! well, as you read this I am in Slovakia, loving on kids and showing people Jesus' love. it's such an exciting mission and I can't wait to share my stories with y'all!

but for now I get to introduce you to someone really great. Amy and I "met" several months back. I found her blog and after reading several posts, I knew that we would be friends. some comments were posted, she read some of my blog...that led to emails being exchanged and prayers being prayed for each other. THEN, we exchanged phone numbers. God is so so good and I have seen Him do such good things in Amy's life as she grows to love Him more.

so anyway, without further ado, check this lovely friend of mind out!!



Hi everyone! My name is Amy, and I blog over at Sweet Home Santa Barbara


I am so blessed to be sharing my heart here as Jennifer is out sharing her heart in the mission field. What an amazing opportunity! Can't wait to hear all about it when she gets back :)

As I prayed about what I should post on, it became super clear that I should share something that I've recently struggled with. 

Or, let's be real, something that I'm still struggling with. 

I am a class A people pleaser. The more I get to know myself, the more I see how often I am searching for identity and value in the opinions of people here instead of the opinion of the One true King. 

I used to search for security in relationships. And somewhere between unsuccessful relationship A and unsuccessful relationship D, I started searching for security in my friendships. While that may seem a whole lot healthier, it really isn't. It leads to a place where I am not serving my friends, but rather using my friendships for identity and self worth. 

God has been showing me more and more why this is not what He wants for me. The things of this world can never give us what we're looking for, even the most wonderful people just can't fill us they way that we desire to be filled. 

And that's why we were put on this earth to serve one another. When we are truly serving, we are not looking for anything in return. 


I recently came across the story of the teachers of religious law interacting with Jesus in Luke 20. I've heard this story many, many times, but for some reason it hit me differently this time around. As I was reading, I couldn't help but notice how concerned the religious teachers were about what others were thinking of them. 

'Did John's authority to baptize come from heaven, or was it merely human?'  They talked it over among themselves. 'If we say it was from heaven, he will ask why we didn't believe John. But if we say it was merely human, the people will stone us because they are convinced John was a prophet.' So they finally replied that they didn't know. 
And Jesus responded, 'Then I won't tell you by what authority I do these things.'

Luke 20: 5-8

The religious teachers were so consumed with what others thought, that they missed out on valuable lessons from Jesus. I realized that I have done the same, many, many times I'm sure. 

And after reading this story, I realized that I had to put an end to the constant over analyzing, and people pleasing. I had to truly let God be the source of my identity and confidence, and stop looking to other people to fill that role. 

When I let God be the source of my validation, He will never fail to make me feel wanted. And I will be left feeling free to truly serve my friends, without looking for anything in return. 

Anytime I feel myself growing concerned with what others think, I remember the story of the teachers of religious law in Luke 20. I remember that I do not want to let my own insecurities get in the way of the teachings of Jesus. 

And I cling to the truth in Galatians 1:10.


I choose to be a servant of Christ. Even when it's hard, and doesn't at all come naturally to me, I choose to seek His approval, which will always be there. 

XO,

Amy

Romans 8:38-39
Nothing can ever separate us from His love

1 comment:

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! You make me smile! Have a fantastic day, friend.