Friday, April 19, 2013

tim tebow, one direction, the beatles and michael landon, part two

Hey friends! How is your week going? Hope everything is going well with y'all. Glad we're here today!!
Now, onto business.

Whew. Part Two. There was no way I could fit everything into one part unless you wanted to be reading all day long. Which of course, you didn't. So two parts it is, and this was another excuse to include more good pictures. =) I'm sure none of you will object.

First, let's talk about bands. Boy bands, of course. Because who cares about girl bands? =) We'll start with these fine fellows.

John, Paul, George and Ringo. They were "the thing" back in their day. They were cool. They made the girls scream, and all the boys had the hair cuts and the boots just like them. They were risque' and sang about holding hands. Holding hands, people!!! That's crazy. Today, holding hands is nothing. Heck, you're lucky if it's that innocent. Most lyrics are just downright dirty.

Those boys were crazy popular. What was the attraction? They were different. People had never seen anything like them. They were used to Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra and the like, and here comes these impish British boys (very attractive, some of them...) who sang about holding hands and being in love. Yeah, they caught the eye of the world.

And guess what, folks? They were always fully dressed. When I was looking at their images, I didn't see many of them with their shirts off. And yet, girls were still attracted to them. Why? Well first of all, Paul and George weren't bad looking. John and Ringo...well, yeah. They had catchy music. They were different. They sang about things that no one had dared sing about before. They had a presence about them. And their music stuck around long after they were gone.

Truth right there.

But time passed and music styles changed and people changed. And not for the better, unfortunately. And...along came these boys:
And things have changed so much.

It is now okay to sing about way more than holding hands (but let's keep this blog PG, people!), it's okay to pose shirtless, it's okay to cause girls to lust after you. Not only is it "okay", it's normal! That is so sad. It's sad that it's come to this. It's sad that a shirtless guy is more attractive than The Beatles were in their suits and shaggy hair. What is this world coming to?

Let's stop with the boy bands for a minute and move to movie stars. Enter two fine fellers:






Now. I would have just posted several pictures of Little Joe, but Jessie (my younger sister) is as madly in love with Adam as I am with Little Joe and she requested that he make a guest appearance. So there he is. And he's not bad looking if I do say so myself. He's also wearing a shirt in case you hadn't noticed.

What makes those handsome men attractive to me and my sis? I'll tell you. It'll also explain what made them attractive back in the day.

They were real men.

They worked hard. They got sweaty and hot. They knew how to ride and shoot if necessary. They took care of themselves and each other. They protected the women in their lives. They weren't just out doing whatever they felt like. They had jobs and worked to provide for themselves. And it wasn't easy work either.

They didn't have to take their shirt off to be attractive.

Enter Tebow. And this is where things get touchy.

Tim Tebow bothers me. I researched him a little before writing this. Yeah, from what he has said, it looks like he's a Christian. But, like my friend Caroline said to me, you would have to hear that from his own mouth to know for sure.

But let's just say he is a strong Christian.

Why? Why would a strong Christian man do what he does? Does he think that it's okay? He is causing girls to lust. The Bible says that we should not cause our brother/sisters in Christ to stumble, and that is exactly what he is doing. I just don't understand how he could do that, or how the girls that look at him think that it's okay because he's a "Christian." It just doesn't work that way.

What does Tebow have to offer all these girls who are obsessing over him? What does One Direction have to offer? Some shirtless pictures? A few songs? A football game here and there?

Girls nowadays don't fall in love with real men. They fall in love with punks. And it's not even falling in love, its basically lusting. Let's just say it like it is. And it bothers me. Again, why is it okay for girls to look at pictures of shirtless guys, but we don't want guys looking at pictures of girls in bikinis?

I'm not talking about girls that aren't saved here. I'm talking about girls in the church.  Girls who love Jesus and say they want to honor Him. This doesn't honor God, friends. Lusting is a sin. And if you are looking at inappropriate pictures and thinking about guys in "that way" you. are. sinning.  Period. End of story. When I say inappropriate pictures, you know what I'm talking about.

This doesn't mean that we should all stay at home and never go anywhere and never talk to or look at a guy again. I mean, chances are good that you've heard a curse word before. Does that mean you were sinning? No. If you see something inappropriate, that doesn't mean you are sinning. But if you choose to look, that's sin. That's lust.

It all boils down to this: we have a choice to either guard our hearts and our minds or do what we want. Our flesh wants to look at those pictures. Our flesh loves that. It goes against everything in us to remain pure. But, how can we, who have died to sin, still live in it? Are we going to live like Jesus or not? Are we going to remain pure or not?

I am not trying to be all "holier than thou" here. Trust me, I'm a sinner just like you. So I'm not saying that it's okay for me to have a crush on Little Joe and its wrong for other girl's to have crushes on guys. The problem is that the guys that girls get crushes on nowadays aren't like those old movie stars. These guys parade their bodies. That's popular. Those old movie stars, (Ricky Nelson, Wally Cleaver, Little Joe, his big brother, Adam just to name a few) weren't parading their bodies. They had their good looks, their personalities, their sense of humor, and that was enough.

If you have an innocent crush on a guy because he has a cute face and is funny and has a great personality, that's fine. Little Joe is like that. I've made it quite clear why I like him. He was a gentleman. If you have a crush on a guy because he's hot and looks good without a shirt on, and you think some not-so-innocent thoughts while looking at those pictures, it ain't innocent anymore. That's wrong. That's sin.

Just remember, friends...
"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." Matthew 5:8 (ESV)

"...so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ..." Philippians 1:10 (ESV)

"So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart." 2 Timothy 2:22 (ESV)



















4 comments:

  1. Hey Jennifer, awesome post. Isn't my man the bomb?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is about my favorite post you've ever written.
    And I can NEVER spell favorite correctly the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Possible favorite post ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post, Jennifer. I really like your quote here: "If you see something inappropriate, that doesn't mean you are sinning. But if you choose to look, that's sin."
    Btw... I went to a Christian concert one time where the drummer didn't wear a shirt. I contacted the band and he personally contacted back. He said about how he gets really hot and sweaty, but because of my comment and how he didn't want to lead any girl to wrong thoughts, he'd wear a shirt from that point on. I went to their concert again, and true to his word, he wore a shirt. To me, THAT is commendable and gentlemanly character! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! You make me smile! Have a fantastic day, friend.